Tuesday, June 17, 2014

REMEMBERING CHAUNCEY STREET 14.School by Pat Aronica

Me, Mary (my cousin), and Freddy c. 1944.
I guess it is time to mention education. I started elementary school when I was four, and apparently I was not mature enough to leave my mother. On the second or third day of school, it rained. According to tradition at P.S. 137, the children were to line-up in the basement of the school. The basement was more like a cellar, and very scary place. At least, I thought so. I objected to lining-up as I was told. Push came to shove, and I kicked the teacher. My sister, Mary, was summoned to the scene. Very embarrassed, she took me home. Boy, did I get it from my mother for embarrassing Mary.

The following September, I started school again at P.S. 137, and I still didn’t do well. The result was that I was enrolled in St. Benedict’s school located at Fulton St. and Ralph Ave. The good sisters did their best, and I did graduate with a Regents diploma in 1959. Although I went to high school on a scholarship, I told Sr. Thomas Angela, I wanted to become a Nun. I said that I would have to enter the convent as a domestic since I was not smart enough to teach. She agreed with me. I never did become a Nun. I became a wife and mother instead.

© 2013, Patricia Aronica

No comments:

Post a Comment